Saturday, September 10, 2011

Studio Update - Early September

I am just finishing a work for one of my shows next year. For the past 18 months I have been working on a series of sculptures under the title Revolutions, part of my ongoing investigations of the nexus between architecture, dress and body theories. It’s a process whereby I turn simple 2D shapes into complex 3D outcomes. I take a shape which I cut repeatedly and connect together to create an object that expands and contracts. Working from the foundation of pattern and dress making, these sculptures are built to either be installed on the wall and floor, or more often hovering in space. In their passive state the works are flat objects and when hung extend into active 3D outcomes which vary in form and size depending on installation. Each work is non-orientable which confronts the ergonomics of the human body that I describe as organic infrastructures, with equal parts rhythm and chaos. I use stencils and spray paint to create colour and surface designs which evoke movement and changing mass. To see previous works from this series check out my website here http://www.elizabethdelfs.com/gallery_12.html and the catalogue from the exhibition here http://www.elizabethdelfs.com/pdf/rev_cat.pdf



 Piecing together the order - these works usually have between 30 and 50 pieces to them.



Two halves........


 ....make a whole.





1 comment: